Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bucky Withdrawal


Sitting here tonight feeling sorry for myself. My next Bucky fix isn't until June and I have no idea how I am expected to survive until then. Really isn't that expecting a lot? I mean it has been exactly 18 days since my last Bucky show and it feels like it was 10 years ago. What is up with that anyhow? I know we all feel the same once the after show aura wears off. It takes a week or so for that to happen, but within 2 or 3 weeks the most recent memory suddenly feels decades old, and you are craving and plotting your next fix. I even dream of one day being retired (and wealthy!) and following the tour around the country for a year or 10. I am not entirely sure if this addiction (which I admit to fully!) is really any different than any other addiction, with the exception that our therapy group doesn't meet weekly, nor typically in person. We often meet online in any of the forums listed to the right, and occasionally in person at concerts.

You can spot us a mile away too, we glance at our M&G pass noting it is the same as the other dozen plus we have collected at home, and then start talking to some newbie Bucky fan about how this is our eleven-hundred-thousandth time meeting him and how smitten we still are to this day. We then assure them they will feel the same way, while plotting our eleven-hundred-thousand and first M&G. We often bring gifts (hint: chocolate seems to go over big!) or photos to share, and we always bring a hug. We can be seen wearing a variety of clothing, from our classic Bucky concert tees to the now endangered Carolina blue It's Good To Be Us shirts. Some of us dress up quite a bit more, something a bit flashy perhaps - I freely admit to "concert shopping" in the days before a show looking for just the right thing to wear. I also freely admit to hauling way too much stuff to the shows. I have the camera and the purse, nothing too complex but then I add the really cool new tee that they are selling (tan one with the moon, I love it!) and a soda or water, plus the photo I want signed, plus perhaps a poster that I grabbed on the way in. At the last show things were going fine and I was doing a personal inventory of my baggage when I noted I was missing my purse. I had left it over at the counter when I purchased a soda. So yep, I bring too much stuff. If you bring so much that you don't immediately notice you are missing something, then you brought too much.

Next time maybe I will just load it all into a shopping cart and bring that along. Plenty of time to think about it, next show isn't until June.

*The Captain America Idol print was the last thing I gifted to Bucky....no, it is not chocolate. Yes, he seemed to think it was cool - and I doubt he has any thing quite like it LOL. Apparently when Captain America died, his replacements' name was "Bucky". Someone created the print and crossed it over to AI, pretty cool!

1 comment:

Buckymania! said...

Oh, I know what you mean! My last concert was back in November and I probably won't get to another until August--too much time between evenings of rockin' live-show fun can be hazardous to our moods. Hope you get pleasantly surprised with a bonus show soon!